It is not permissible to celebrate (Jashn e Eid ) Milaad un Nabee (the birthday of the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), nor the birthday of anyone else
Sheikh al-Fawzan حفظه الله said,
The first who introduced the celebration of Mawlid were the Shi’ah Fatimids.
It was then adopted by some of the people who ascribed themselves to the Sunnah thinking it to be good based on their intention of showing love to the Prophet (But) this is not from the [act] of loving him.
For indeed, love is in following him (i.e. sticking to his authentic sunnah) and not in innovating.
[at-Ta’leeqaat al-Mukhtasirah ‘ala matn al-Aqeedah at-Tahawiyyah, (Page: 176)]
Sh. Bin Bāz:
“The love of Prophet is not reflected by celebrating Mawlid but by obeying him and keeping away from Bid’ah.” [بدعة المولد]
REASONS WHY WE SHOULD NOT CELEBRATE EID MILAAD UN NABIWI:-
1. Eid Milad is not in Islamic Shariah, it was later introduced by Shia Fatimid in Egypt.
2. Historians differed about the date of birth of Prophet Sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. Some said it’s in Ramadan, some in Shabaan and Some said its in Rabi ul awal.
3. How can a Muslim rejoice and have party when on 12th Rabi al Awalour prophet died?
4. Birthday celebration have pagan roots. Celebrating birthdays is not all0wed at all.
5. This celebration is neither from Sunnah nor Qur’an. Anything that is not part of these two can not be part of Islam.
6. Prophet Sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “Stick to my sunnah and the sunnah of my rightly guided Caliphs, beware of Newly invented matters, for every new matter is Bid’ah and every Bid’ah is misleading. (Tirmizi 2676)”
7. Allah says in Surah al Maidah, Ayah3.
“This day I have perfected your religion for you.”
When Islam is perfect and complete then who gave the authority to these people to introduce new things in Islam?
8. Celebrating milaad is imitation of Christians and Jews. Jews celebrate birthday of Uzair, Christians celebrate birthday of Esa AS.
9. Prophet Sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “Whoever imitates a people becomes one of them. (Abu Dawood)”
10. Prophet Sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “Be different from Mushrikeen. (Sahih Muslim)”
11. Prophet Sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said “Do not exaggerate in praising me.
Islamic Ruling on Celebrating the Prophet’s Birthday
1 – Celebration not part of Sunnah
2 – Celebrating the birthday an imitation of the Christians:
3 – Celebration means to exaggeration & excess veneration:
4 – Distraction from Sunnah & opening doors to new innovated matters in the perfected deen-
5- False belief of prophet(peace be upon him) present in milad celebrations
6- It causes hypocrisy and not love to grow in the heart
7- It started small and has replaced the Sunnah
8- It causes chaos and divisions within the Ummah
9- Reward for abstaining from Bidah(Innovation) in Islam is Jannah
It is not permissible to celebrate (Jashn e Eid ) Milaad un Nabee (the birthday of the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), nor the birthday of anyone else, since this is from the acts of bidah (innovations) that have been newly invented into the religion.