Tight clothes are not permissible for men or women
Is praying in pants invalid?
Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan has issued a fatwa stating that if a woman prays in tight clothes that show the shape of her ‘awrah, her prayer is valid, although she is sinning by wearing these clothes.
- It is not permissible to wear tight clothes which show the limbs and the shape of a woman’s body and buttocks.
- Tight clothes are not permissible for men or women, but it is especially forbidden for women, because the fitnah in their case is greater.
With regard to praying in particular, if a person prays with his ‘awrah covered in such clothes, his prayer is valid in and of itself, because the ‘awrah is covered, but he is sinning by praying in tight clothes, because he has transgressed one of the prescribed requirements of prayer by wearing tight clothes.
This is one aspect.
- Another aspect is that it is a cause of temptation and attracts attention, especially in the case of women.
- So women should cover themselves with loose garments which will cover them and not show any of the limbs of their body or attract attention.
- So it should not be a thin or see-through garment, rather it should be a concealing garment which will cover the woman completely. End quote.
Al-Muntaqa min Fataawa al-Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan, 3/454