Sufi tareeqahs and the ruling on joining them ?
Sufi tareeqahs and the ruling on joining them.
The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked:
Is there any such thing in Islam as the numerous tareeqahs like the :
If there is such a thing, what is the evidence for that?
What is the meaning of the verses in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And verily, this is My straight path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path. This He has ordained for you that you may become Al‑Muttaqoon (the pious)”
“And upon Allaah is the responsibility to explain the Straight Path. But there are ways that turn aside (such as Paganism, Judaism, Christianity). And had He willed, He would have guided you all (mankind)”
What are the ways that separate people from the path of Allaah, and what is the way of Allaah?
What is the meaning of the hadeeth narrated by Ibn Mas’ood, according to which the Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) drew a line and said, “This is the path of guidance,” then he drew lines to its right and another to its left and said, “These are other paths and on each path there is a devil calling people to it”?
There is no such thing in Islam as the tareeqahs that you mentioned, or anything else like them.
What there is in Islam is what is indicated by the two verses and the hadeeth that you quoted, and what was indicated by the hadeeth in which the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) said:
- The Jews split into seventy-one sects, and
- The Christians split into seventy-two sects.
My ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of which will be in Hell except one.” It was asked, “Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah?”
He said, “Those who follow the same path as I and my companions are on today.”
And he (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) said,
“A group among my ummah will continue to follow the truth and to be victorious, and they will not be harmed by those who forsake them or oppose them, until the command of Allaah comes to pass when they are like that.”
- The truth lies in following the Qur’aan and the saheeh, unambiguous Sunnah of the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam).
- This is the path of Allaah, this is the Straight Path.
- This is the straight line mentioned in the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood, and this is what was followed by the companions of the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) (may Allaah be pleased with them and with their followers among the early generations (salaf) of this ummah, and with those who follow their path).
All other tareeqahs or groups are the paths mentioned in the verse (interpretation of the meaning):
“… and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path…”
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 2/283, 284